Pages

Wednesday, January 2, 2013

It's a New Year

I wonder if four months is a record for me? It's been far too long since I have last blogged. It's not that things haven't been happening that have been worthy to blog about, I just haven't taken the time. I feel like I do better with a challenge, so it's one of my New Year's Resolutions, but more about that in a minute.
I little wrap up from 2012. The kids are doing really well in school. Anderson is slowly getting the hang of reading. I've made more of an effort to work with him. I made a decision before Thanksgiving that we would not have the tv on at all during the week. I can turn it on after the kids go to bed, but no news or anything at all. It's incredible the difference this has made for us. It's much calmer now and I can be more intentional about spending time with the kids and focusing on what their needs are after they come home from school. Of course, the holiday wreaked a little havoc on that, but I think we're getting back on track now.
A few of the kids were sick before Christmas, but we're on the mend now. It's incredible it didn't hit us a little harder, I need to go knock on wood now...
We were able to host both Thanksgiving and Christmas in our home. For that, I'm incredibly grateful. I really enjoyed it and am looking forward to many more years of having all our families together. This is our family picture from Christmas. You can see our little elf, Oscar, peeking out from the fireplace.
I ended up 2012 in the worst way and it's still difficult to talk or think about. We haven't shared a lot of details with the kids so this will be kind of non-descript or slight in details. I suffered a loss during Christmas and it culminated with me going to the emergency room on New Year's Eve. I got the full ambulance treatment with sirens and everything as I was transferred to Covenant (it was very bumpy!). I lost a tremendous amount of blood and had to have the procedure done that I was trying to avoid. I wasn't stable due to the blood loss, so I was admitted and after four units of fluid, I was given two blood transfusions. Needless to say, it wasn't the way I had hoped to spend my evening.
While I'm still trying to figure all of this out, I'm confident that this year will be better. It's been these last two weeks that has had me really thinking about what's important to me and how I can make the most of what I do have. I'm extremely grateful for my family and friends, that much is sure.
Which brings me to my New Year's Resolutions: 1/10/30/60. Brad told me his and they were similar in numbers, I thought that was a great way to remember them and keep it simple.
1: One blog post per week. That can be either on here or the Block Party site.
10: Ten pounds to lose!
30: Thirty books to read. I feel really good about this one. I love to read and rarely make time to actually finish a book. I am almost finished with my first one, Get Off Your Knees & Pray, by Sheila Walsh. I highly recommend it!
60: Sixty new recipes this year. I know I started the Try It Out Tuesday last year, and I think I can still use that part of it, but definitely look for some new recipes on the Block Party site!
There are other little things I want to improve on, but those are the biggies. What about you? Do you have any resolutions? Any tips for me as I venture on these? Interestingly, I think the first one will be the most difficult. I'm unfortunately notorious for letting my blogging slip when I get busy. But, it's a New Year and anything can happen!

~ Misty

4 comments:

Unknown said...

So sorry to hear of your final days in 2012...praying you feel God's comfort in this new year and be covered with his guidance and gifts through joy in 2013.

Sarah Craft said...

Wishing you a wonderful 2013, Misty and I'm so happy to see you back to blogging...kind of...maybe. :) I am still mulling over my resolutions. I'll probably continue to do this until February when I can safely pretend it is no longer a new year and I therefore do not need to come up with any resolutions. Prayers to you.

Bridget said...

Hey misty. Prayers for your loss. Hope you are on the right track to recovery. Hope 2013 for you and your family will be blessed.

Katie R. said...

Misty what a bummer of a way to end the year...so sorry you had to go through that, it just stinks! I hate that people have to walk through those things, but it does have a way of realigning our lives, and giving us a different perspective on lots of things. The picture you posted of your family is beautiful. I so appreciate how you share what works for your family, and how intentional you are about being intentional! Blessed to be walking this mama journey with you!