Pages

Tuesday, February 7, 2012

TIO Tuesday - Perfect Zesty Chicken Tortilla Bake

Today's TIO is fresh out of the oven! I was going through my old food magazines and came across this recipe in a Holiday '09 Food & Family magazine.  This is further confirmation that, yes, I do need to keep these old magazines. I enjoy the Kraft recipes because it's usually something I already have in my refridgerator or pantry.This recipe was no exception. The other thing I liked was the make one, freeze one option.
The dish on the left is the one for tonight, the other is the freezer meal, prior to baking.
I love the Glad Ware pans. They are worth the money to have and use for freezer meals. I have used them often when I bring a meal to someone, not having to worry if it was returned or not. Also,  they're much more sturdy than a foil pan and easy to reuse.   
This is it, fresh out of the oven. I like to place mine on a bed of chips and lettuce. I made a few changes to the recipe, but nothing major. Notes are below the recipe. Overall, the kids were half and half, Annaliese and Anderson thought it was too spicy but the other kids were okay with it. That's partly my fault, I used hot salsa instead of medium...

1/2cup MIRACLE WHIP Dressing
1/2cup flour
3cups milk
1pkg. (8 oz.) KRAFT Shredded Cheddar Cheese, divided
1-1/2lb. boneless skinless chicken breasts, cooked, cut into bite-size pieces
1/2cup TACO BELL® HOME ORIGINALS® Thick 'N Chunky Salsa
1/2cup chopped fresh parsley
16 flour tortillas (6 inch)

HEAT oven to 375°F.
WHISK dressing and flour in medium saucepan until well blended. Gradually stir in milk. Bring to boil on medium heat, stirring constantly; cook and stir until thickened. Add 1 cup cheese; cook until melted, stirring constantly. Reserve 1 cup sauce.
STIR chicken, salsa and parsley into remaining sauce; spoon 1/3 cup down center of each tortilla. Roll up. Place 8 roll-ups, seam-sides down, in each of 2 (13x9-inch) baking dishes sprayed with cooking spray; top with reserved sauce and remaining cheese.
BAKE 25 min. or until heated through.

*****
I have no idea how many cups of chicken you get out of 1 1/2 lbs, so I guessed. I used around 3 cups or so, I probably could have used more.
I didn't have fresh parsley, so I used a couple tablespoons of dried parsley.
I spiced up the salsa a bit and used more cheese.
I misread the recipe and used larger tortillas than what it called for, but I'm sure that's a preference thing. You could easily substitute a whole wheat or veggie tortilla if you like.
The link has the nutrition facts listed and some suggestions if you would like to make it a little healthier. I think it's great just the way it is.

Enjoy!

~ Misty

No comments: