Pages

Tuesday, April 24, 2012

TIO Tuesday - (Smoked) White Chicken Enchiladas

I had a craving for enchiladas but didn't have enchilada sauce. I had seen several recipes that were for a "white" enchilada and figured I probably had the ingredients necessary so I did a little research on pinterest and found that quite a few of the pins were for the same recipe. Sure enough, I had what I needed. The "smoked" part of the title is from the smoked chicken I used. I had made a chicken in the smoker the night before and had quite a bit left over that I thought would work for this recipe. However, the smoked taste completely overpowered the dish. It was still really good and I will definitely make it again, just with plain chicken next time.
 I used a large square dish for this and overloaded each tortilla to fit. Of all the kitchen stuff I have collected to replace what I lost, I only have one 9x13 pan. How is that possible? I've got a gazillion bowls, serving dishes and pie plates, but only one pan? Yay for garage sale season, I'll definitely be on the lookout!
This is my plug for this cheese, it's fantastic! It has a nice spiciness to it and I used it on the side of the enchiladas for Brad and I. I also use this cheese in scrambled eggs. Once you try it, you just can't use the plain stuff anymore! Oh, and don't get me started on cheesy hash brown potatoes!

Finished dish, nice and cheesy. You can see the specks of jalapeno on one side, the rest was just co-jack. I've never made the sauce for this before, but it tastes just like a white-queso dip. I tried some with tortilla chips and it was great, I think the sauce by itself would be nice to serve as a dip?

White Chicken Enchiladas
8 flour tortillas, soft taco size
2 cups cooked, shredded chicken (I used half of a rotisserie chicken)
2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
3 Tbsp butter
3 Tbsp flour
2 cups chicken broth
1 cup sour cream
1 (4 oz) can diced green chilies

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Spray a 9x13 pan with cooking spray. Mix chicken and 1 cup cheese. Roll up in tortillas and place in pan seam side down.

In a small sauce pan over medium heat, melt butter. Whisk in flour and cook 1 minute. Add broth and whisk until smooth. Allow sauce to thicken. Remove from heat and stir in sour cream and chilies.

Pour sauce over enchiladas and top with remaining cheese. Bake 20-25 minutes and then broil for a few minutes to brown the cheese.
Enjoy!
~ Misty

No comments: