Pages

Tuesday, March 6, 2012

TIO Tuesday - Crockpot Lasagna

I tried a crock pot lasagna for the first time. My overall impression was 50/50. Now normally I wouldn't share a recipe that had that kind of a rating, but I'm going to here, because I know my family is different from most. First of all, Brad likes things super seasoned, really, really seasoned. Second, my family in general is used to eating this way so it's hard to get them to like something out of the ordinary. (Just for that fact, it's a miracle I'm even attempting this 52 new recipes thing.)
I decided I would share because I know that most families have picky eaters and this was super simple to do. I think I would even do it again just for the simplicity of it. I mean, it doesn't really get any easier than uncooked pasta in a crock pot!
You can see from the picture that mine got overcooked. My crock pot uses steroids or something. As a result the noodles were a little mushy, obviously something to change next time. The kids ate most of it and Brad simply said, I like the original one better. Go figure, he doesn't have to worry about simplicity, he just gets to eat the finished project, but I digress...
Here is the recipe:

Ingredients
1 lb. ground beef
29 oz can tomato sauce
8 oz pkg. lasagna noodles, uncooked
4 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
1 1/2 cups cottage cheese
Directions
1. Spray the inside of the crock-pot with cooking spray
2. Brown the ground beef
3. Stir the tomato sauce in with the ground beef
4. Spread 1/4 of the meat sauce on the bottom of the crock-pot
5. Arrange 1/3 of the uncooked noodles over the sauce (I usually break them up so they fit better)
6. Combine the cheeses in a bowl. Spoon 1/3 of the cheeses over the noodles.
7. Repeat these layers twice
8. Top with remaining sauce
9. Cover and cook on low for 4hrs (I've started the crock-pot on high in the morning before I leave for work and then put it on warm when I leave and it's perfect when I get home)
10. Let the lasagna stand in the crock-pot with the lid off for at least 10 minutes

*** I really would like to tweak this a little more to our liking and cook it for a shorter amount of time. I think I'd get better results then. I did use more sauce, cheese and some Italian seasoning. It has potential and "good bones" for a good recipe. Might have an update on this at a later time.
I would love to hear if you have tried a recipe like this and what did or didn't work for you. 

~ Misty

1 comment:

Unknown said...

trying this today :) Love my crock-pot!! Thanks for sharing!